Do you want to relax after experiencing emotional or mental stress? Are you ill of your stiff muscles on your neck or do you feel back pain? If yes, we encourage you to give this asana a try the Bhujangasana, pronounced boo-jang-GAHS-anna, and can be at large extent very helpful at reducing soreness in the muscles of the back, neck and abdomen. In addition, a small amount of time spent in cobra pose can go a long way with regards to alleviating stress, anxiety and even depression. The term Bhujangasana is derived from Sanskrit, “bhujanga” means serpent or snake and “asana” means pose; that’s why the English, cobra pose. This revitalizing backbend was named such because Bhujangasana emulates the posture of a cobra that has its hood lifted. Practice this pose with the help of a qualified yoga instructor to avoid injury.
1. Lie down with your face down on the floor. Stretch your legs back, ends of the feet on the floor. Stretch your hands on the floor below your shoulders. Squeeze the elbows back into your body.
2. Push the ends of the feet and thighs and the pubis tightly keen on the floor.
3. On a mouthful of air, start in on to straighten the arms to raise the torso off the floor, going no more than to the height at which you can retain a connection all the way through your pubis to your legs. Push the tailbone toward the pubis and lift the pubis toward the navel. Narrow the hip points. Firm but don’t strengthen the buttocks.
4. Press down the shoulder blades adjacent to the back, wheezing the side ribs forward. Rise through the top of the sternum but keep away from roughly the front ribs forward, which only harden the lower back. Spread out the backbend evenly throughout the entire spine.
5. Hold the pose for about 30 seconds, breathing easily. Release back to the floor with an exhalation.
If you perform this pose correctly, Dr. Rob Kiltz listed below the many health benefits of cobra pose or Bhujangasana.
Benefits of Cobra Pose:
• Stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominals
• Decreases stiffness of the lower back
• Strengthens the arms and shoulders
• Increases flexibility
• Improves menstrual irregularities
• Elevates mood
• Firms and tones the buttocks
• Invigorates the heart
• Stimulates organs in the abdomen, like the kidneys
• Relieves stress and fatigue
• Opens the chest and helps to clear the passages of the heart and lungs
• Improves circulation of blood and oxygen, especially throughout the spinal and pelvic regions
• Improves digestion
• Strengthens the spine
• Soothes sciatica
• Helps to ease symptoms of asthma
FlexHK is a unique haven for fitness and intelligent movement. It offers a complete solution for all training needs. Flex Studio is offering different Yoga classes in Central Hong Kong and Aberdeen. Check out Flex yoga schedules here. Our well-known Yoga and Pilates programs are led by experienced instructors, offering private tuition, daily Allegro classes, our signature yoga classes, sports training and pre/post natal conditioning.